Letter - 59 (Stories of Ramayana -7)

My Dearest Beta Shanu,
How are you Shanu beta? How was your birthday? Did my poems reach you? Well, needless to say that the negative energies surrounding you again overshadowed the sacred and joyful occasion. Sometimes I think what kind of monstrous and self-centric behavior of so called intellectuals can overshadow the welfare of an innocent and god like child, my Sanidhya. But any way we have seen that before, several times in past. Haven’t we! I can express it but you have absorbed it, that’s why you have God like presence and far from this artificial and dishonest behaviors, your soul will never be touched by these negative energies. What my worry is, what affect this will have on your body and mind? I don’t understand such an immature and destructive behavior where the growth and welfare of the innocent child is overshadowed by personal vendetta and sadism. I don’t know what sadist pleasure any one will get by not allowing an aged gentleman who happens to be your grandfather and has nurtured you, to wish and love you on your birthday. These kinds of incidents have happened before, but on this occasion the humanity was its lowest level and clearly shows the lack of rationalism and negativity prevailing in your proximity.
Whether me or your grandfather or your grandmother or your well wishers though are not allowed to meet you; or for example in very recent episode, not even allowed to wish you birthday greetings and prayers, but the honest wishes from our souls will always cocoon you and protect you. Also we will continue to request and will try to meet you. Son for the first time in my series of letter to you I’m narrating the struggle of a father to touch his son, knowing very well the receiver may have thrown all my letters to you in waste-basket.
The questions which worry me are that there are so many sick individuals with you who are my own, who are so much enslaved in their own self interests, and have forgotten the basic human values. How will they nurture your talent and provide good values. So what should I do, well how? How do you fight with your own wife and mother of my child for whom I live and pray? So then you search this in the books of wisdom, well not really papa’s architecture books, Ha! Ha! Ha! Beta. The books written by sages, again the meaning of sage is - a scholar who has mastered or thrive to master the art of living i.e. who is a social architect. Thus books I’m discussing here are like Gita. I have still not find the exact answer, but have reached and touched it, but it’s not conclusive.
Any way even though me and your grandparents are not allowed to speak with you, or to see you, or to be with you, We all look towards the nature and pray to God that our souls touch your soul and our wishes envelope you. I hope I could cure all sickness surrounding you today, but the patient also has to make an effort. My love will reach all of them and your mother and I hope they will all get well soon and swim thru the desires of parasitic materialistic demands, and hungers. I hope they will rise above their own individualism, sadist egos and lust and see your benefit as paramount objective. Remember son my father taught me that, Son! one rupee earned with your own sweat and with true dedication and honesty without compromising your ethics and not hurting a soul will provide you satisfaction and peace. Always remember this. Today it’s a proud day for me as your grandfather and your grandmother who went to see you have conquered ego and are thus in inner peace. May this peace reach you and provide vibrations in your soul so that the negative energies surrounding you get converted into atmosphere of truth and thus bliss. The negative energies around you may not allow me or your Dadaji and Dadiji to communicate with you, but they can’t stop us praying for you. Whenever you touch your mother may my love and affection reach her and cure her from this terrible disease which she has been injected in her soul. I wish and I pray for her recovery.
Continuing our journey of Ramayana, Dearest Shanu today’s story narrates the control over our senses. Enjoy the next part from the series:
{
At Chitrakoot, Rama, Laxmana, and Sita passed their time in prayers, repetition of Lord's name - japa, Yoga and meditation. Laxmana used to collect food items for morning and evening meals. Rama and Sita used to collect fresh flowers for preparing beautiful bouquets and garlands. The hut used to be decorated with these flowers, and at times Sita would be pleased to adore a flower or two in her long and beautiful hairdo.

Sita used to cook the food which consisted of roots, vegetables and milk preparations. In the evening supper consisted of fruits and milk alone. Thus they lived a very simple and peaceful life. Everyone was very happy. Thoughts of dissatisfaction, inconvenience, and longing for palace life never entered their mind anytime.

Many sages and Rishis, engaged in various spiritual practices and austerities, came to Rama for his advice in seeking God. Discussion went on the subjects like devotion - Bhakti, Karma -action, knowledge -Jnana, and meditation etc. Study of Holy Scriptures and Books was added pleasure when Rama used to enlighten them about the nuances and subtleties of the philosophical arguments therein.

Peace and tranquility descended on the land. Nature was equally hospitable to them with plenty of clean and fresh springs, healthy crop, fresh vegetables and fruits. It is believed that for more than twelve years the holy trio lived at Chitrakoot. Later they decided to move southward where the demons were creating lots of difficulties for the common folk to live peacefully. These Rakshasas (demons) used to beat up the sincere spiritual aspirants - sadhus and sanyasins - and used to obstruct their religious rituals. The purpose of Rama to incarnate on the earth was to destroy these selfish and wicked demons and free the land of evil tendencies so that righteous rule of truth, simplicity, love, and worship of God were reestablished again on the earth.

The party thus moved to the forest of Dandakaranya in central India. The place is known as Panchavati near present day Nasik. Two huts known as parnakutis were erected for Rama-Sita and Laxmana respectively. On their way to Panchavati Rama met sage Atri and Agasthi and discussed certain aspects of devotion and karma theory.

One day Rama and Laxmana were sitting a distance apart near their forest dwelling. As it happened Shurpankha, sister of Ravana, was passing from there. She was ugly looking widow, but was ambitious and powerful because of protection assured by her brother, the mighty King of Lanka, Ravana. She fell in love with Rama at first sight!
With her maya power she changed herself in a very beautiful maiden and approached Rama with a lady-in-love like gestures. As she came near, Rama inquired, "O lady, who are you, what can I do for you?" Shurpankha replied, "O handsome, I have fallen in love with you. I am also beautiful, therefore, please marry me."

In those days polygamy was not unusual in common people, and hence such requests were natural. But Rama never dreamt of any other woman as his wife other than Sita. He had vowed to monogamy. Moreover he could very easily see through the plan of Shurpankha. It did not take him more than a second to know the real nature of the beautiful woman in front of him. But he also decided to play some joke on her. Therefore Rama said, "O lady, I am sorry I cannot marry you. I am already wedded to one wife Sita. But my younger brother, Laxmana who is sitting there is still unmarried and he may be pleased to marry you. Why don't you approach him!"

Shurpankha agreed and went to Laxmana with similar request to accept her as his bride. Laxmana also was in a jolly mood. He told her to go again to Rama because at present he did not have any plans to marry. Thus three or four times Shurpankha was shuttled between the two brothers. At last her patience gave way and she came to her original form and threatened to kill Rama and Laxmana. At this folly of her, Laxmana was irritated and as a result cut her nose and ears with the arrow. Bleeding and in rage, she fled to her one of the brothers, in nearby forest. The demon, brother of Ravana and equally powerful as Ravana, marched with huge army to put an end to the tormentors of his sister. A great fight broke out and ultimately the demons were defeated.

Seeing the end of his brother, Shurpankha rushed to her second brother Ravana and narrated the whole story. Ravana was puzzled. He could not understand that a single sanyasin like person could defeat his brother and his army. He thought over the matter and came to the conclusion that Rama must be God incarnate and nobody else. But he promised his sister that he would take revenge of her insult.
Next we will see that the being who thinks of revenge forgets that he is mortal and is a puppet in God’s hand and ultimately suffers. We will also see that a lie destroy not only the liar but all the beings who participate in the lie, even though the honest soul also suffer but that suffering is a test and examination and is momentary. How? We will examine in next letters….
}
Beta, I’m very fortunate that I have father who is one of the most divine souls, He who has conquered ego and filled with deep love and strict disciplinary and practitioner of dharma. There has not been a day when you were not in his thoughts and still he will try his level best for your welfare. When such a soul is also not allowed to see you, it shows the obtuseness in the behavior of sick individuals but still he shows the light and direction to me and all others. You were so fortunate that your first walk and words were taught by him and your grandmother. But I’m so fortunate that I have got so much opportunity to learn from him. He is truly a great social architect and noblest soul.
Always remember a speech by the Meskwaki chief Black Thunder to William Clark and the other peace commissioners at Portage des Sioux, and here I narrate the modified version for you and the receiver(s) of my e-mail if he (they) has courage to narrate and intellect and integrity to understand and accept the line as it is:
{
“My folks—Restrain your feelings, and hear calmly what I shall say. I shall tell it to you plainly, I shall not speak with fear and trembling. I feel no fear. I have no cause to fear. I have never injured you, and innocence can feel no fear. I turn to all, and challenge an accusation against me.
My folks—I don’t understand well how things are working. I have been just set at liberty. Am I again to be plunged into bondage? I know not how or where to turn my head. Frowns are on all sides. I have never forgot what my great father told me. No man has ever been able to change me. You may perhaps, my folks, be ignorant of what I tell you, but it is a truth which I call Heaven and Earth to witness—a fact that can be easily proved—that I have been assailed in every possible way that pride, fear, interest or feeling could touch me—that I have been pushed to the last for to keep up the tomahawk against you: But all in vain. I never could be made to feel that you were my enemy. If this be the conduct of an enemy I shall never be your friend. The things I tell you, my folks, because it is a truth, a melancholy truth, that the good things which men do are often buried in the ground and forgot, while their evil deeds are stripped naked and proclaimed to the world. But in the end peace prevails and the truth and goodness wins.“
}
Dearest Sanidhya, May God be with you and the ashirwad and blessings of your grand parents and my meditations and prayers provide you nested bliss for your soul and protection to your body. I also pray for the folks surrounding you and hope they will be cured of their lust and materialistic desires and peace and tranquility will flower in their heart and mind.
May Lord Shiva protect you and Lord Vishnu feed you and Lord Brahma educates you.
Om!
Your Papa,
Ravi